Wednesday, January 26, 2011

You spin my head right round, right round, like a record baby....right round, round, round!!!

Normally I like that song. But, today (and mainly yesterday) that song hits way to close to home. SPINNING = NO FUN!!!!!

So- for about a month now I have had these random dizzy spells. Nothing particular sets them off. I don't always know when they will "hit." It has just been strange considering I have never had any health issues...AT ALL!!!! Now- when I say I "get dizzy" this does not mean a quick little "phew" that was strange type issue. I mean I GET DIZZY. Have you ever been so drunk the room spins? Yeah- that is what happens....but I'm not drunk. It will happen when I am standing up, sitting down, laying down, etc. I have had to pull the car over when this happens before too. Not safe to be driving a huge object, yes, I know!!!! I have had the question thrown at me by numerous people, "Are you pregnant?" Nope....not pg....I have taken test. "Do you eat?" Yes- I eat...I love to eat. I have tried to play doctor myself. I have had my eyes looked out considering it has been over a year since my last exam. To my surprise, my vision has barely changed. So, that rules vision problems out. I have tried to drink more water thinking I may be dehydrated. Helps some....but dizzy spells still arise...so that is not the problem.

I had been doing pretty good for a while.......UNTIL YESTERDAY. Whoa baby! First of all, I WOKE UP in the middle of the night having a spell. Did you get that....WOKE UP feeling dizzy. Is it just me or is that strange? To be so dizzy that it wakes you from a deep sleep. Poor Kyle jumped out of bed thinking I was dying the way I was ranting and raving. Sorry babe. As the morning went on.....I managed to get the boys up, dressed, and off to school. I even made it to Sam's and back home. I wasn't feeling "right" but I thought I could blow it off. Then it happened. I jumped in the shower to clean up and BOOM! I stumbled over my feet and fell to the shower floor. I couldn't see anything. It was like I was on one of those rides at the fair that spins, and spins, and spins. I knew it was time to see a doc.

I called the doctor and told them I was headed in. I didn't really give them a choice to see me. I told them I as going to be a "Walk In." How is that for demanding? I don't really know what I was expecting her to do. But, right off the bat she told me she would have no answers for me today (which was yesterday.) She said they would have to do a lot of blood work and other test to start ruling stuff out. She did do a mini "exterior" exam (ie....check nose, throat, ears, strength, etc.) She said all that looked great. But then she had me do some equilibrium tests. You know.....walk a straight line, put feet together while closing eyes arms held straight out, etc. I failed that miserably. Seriously, you would have thought I was getting a sobriety test and the next stop was Wylie Police Department. Conclusion of that visit was I was sent home. With nothing, no answers. They couldn't do the blood work because they need it when I have fasted. She told me not to drive or work out (which sucks because my job is working out) until we know further. Fortunately, my mother in law, Susie, went to pick up the boys from school and took them home with her so I could get some rest. Also, fortunately my boss, Kim, who rocks was very understanding and got all my classes covered so I didn't have to work. Unfortunately, the dizziness/sickness went from bad to worse. My poor husband had to come home to find me hugging the trash can throwing up (Too much? Sorry!) I was completely dizzy and couldn't even open my eyes. I had lost all strength (thank God for Kyle being able to carry me to the bathroom.) We were on the verge of going to the ER, then something happened. I laid on the bed and some how feel asleep. I hadn't been able to sleep all day with these feelings. But, once I was out...I was OUT!!!! I didn't wake up until this morning. Thank you to my support system!!!!

So, tomorrow morning I go in for tests. The doc said it could be almost anything. Her first guess would be some sort of thyroid issue going off the symptoms I gave her. But, really- without blood work- she had no idea. Her list of possibilities included..... urinary tract infection (hum- I don't think so), diabetes (I do have a sweet tooth- but I also work out quite often), thyroid issue (very possible), pregnant(oh dear), inner ear problem (possibility...my grandmother had some issues with this, and I had one episode when I was pregnant dealing with my inner ear), EKG (heart problems...who knows?), brain tumor(worse case scenario...hope we figure it out before this is even an option!)

So- I ask for some prayers friends. I just want to get it diagnosed and handled. It is no fun spinning in circles for hours on end. I am doing a little better today, but not back to normal. I feel FUNNY!!! I still feel dizzy. Lots of movie watching, book reading (if possible without feeling queasy), and hoping the children behave today. Rest, rest, rest!!!!!

Thanks everyone!

3 comments:

Robin said...

I worked for a ENT for years and your symptoms sound like classic inner ear disorders. It's what you call Meinere's Disease which can help be controlled by a low salt or sodium diet. There is also a Rx called Antivert the doc can give you to help with the vertigo no matter what the diagnoses is. If you get referred to a ENT my former boss is excellent and a Christian. He Dr Kevin Lunde over at Baylor Plano. Let me know and I can get you his info.

KRiSTiN said...

Oh my gosh!!! That sounds AWFUL! like being stuck on a carival ride after it's not fun anymore. Thinking about you and praying this gets figured out and remedied QUICKLY!

Psalm112 said...

It does sound inner ear related. It also sounds a lot like my symptoms in the beginning with my seizures. Feel free to call if you want to ask questions...