Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Heels for Healing

It was mid December 2008. I had just given birth to a beautiful baby boy just 4 weeks earlier on November 17th. Pregnancy, labor, and birth were all smooth sailing with my second baby boy. I have said it before, but it still shocks me EVERY TIME.....I LITERALLY pushed THREE times and Gavin Justice Warner arrived. THREE times. I was preparing myself for a long, drawn out delivery.....so when the doctor laid that newborn on my chest after 3 pushes, I was stunned. He was healthy. Had good check ups in the hospital....and less than 48 hours after being admitted, we were released as a family of four.

The worry started that week we got Gavin home. At his 1 week check up with the pediatrician, Gavin's jaundice levels were extremely high. They had us come back in the next day to take more blood and recheck that. Next day = same thing. This continued for a week. EVERY DAY my little baby had to have his big toe pricked with a needle, and have blood drawn. EVERY DAY. Even on Thanksgiving...they made us take him to the hospital for this procedure (since obviously all doc offices were closed.) After a week of watching his levels closely, we were admitted to Children's Hospital for the Bili lamp (aka....tanning bed for newborns.) It worked FOR ONE DAY. After we got him back home from that stay, levels shot up again. EVERY DAY had the blood drawn from his foot....EVERY DAY!!!!!!!! He was so yellow....so orange.


About 6 weeks after having my second son, they sent us to the hospital for some liver test. There was a chance my baby's liver was not doing it's job. Liver failure in my 6 week old? Kyle and I were both a nervous WRECK!!!!!! Scary stuff. Not to mention we still had an 18 month old at home to care for, and BILLS. BILLS were piling up. Imagine EVERY DAY of visiting the doc, hospital stays, and now major liver test. WOW!!!! Good news is the test came back negative...his little liver was working fine. Diagnoses was "breast milk jaundice." His jaundice lasted for close to 3 months......YES- a very long time!

Now- we are getting to the point of this post. I remember sitting on the couch one afternoon holding my little miracle. The stress of everything (family, kids, just giving birth, BILLS) just holding me down....making me sad, depressed. "How in the world are we going to pay for all of this" were my thoughts. I remember Kyle walking in the house after work. He came up to me with tears in his eyes. I had no idea what was going on. No idea!!!! He handed me a white envelope. As I managed to open it, out came green $ bills. Lots of them......$1's, $5's, $10's, $20's. I burst into tears. The gracious souls at Kyle's work had opened their wallets that day at work and donated $ to try and help us with bills. People I didn't even know. They ended up collecting a little over $500 that day and just handed it over to us. To a family in need. (ps....I am crying right now as I type this.....it is still an unbelievable feeling to have so many help like that.) No- $500 didn't cover close to what we owed...BUT it was something, and it helped. The thought of others paying it forward dropped me to my knees.

I will NEVER forget that day. The kindness, generosity, love. And now, I have the opportunity to help somebody else in need....I have the chance to pay it forward.

My boss's Mom (and my co-worker), was in a horrible car wreck several weeks back. HORRIBLE wreck. Her car caught fire, she broke just about ever bone in her body. She was care flighted. Very serious stuff. She spent 4 weeks in Parkland, and now has sooooo many more in a rehab hospital to go. I know their medical expenses will be overwhelming. I know it is a stressful time for them. So- I thought to myself, "What can I do?" And, here is what I came up with.......

HEELS FOR HEALING!!!!!!!!

This lady was never seen without high heels on. Heels are her signature style. So, I have decided to hold a silent auction of high heels the night of our big dance recital in May. I am asking all friends, family, customers, strangers (ok- not really) to help donate. MOST women have at least one pair of high heels you don't wear. You may have bought them for a certain outfit, wore them in a wedding, or just had to have them, and later realized they are "just not you." So- we are helping you with your spring cleaning. ;) If you have a pair of heels that are going to waste in your closet, we are asking for you to donate them for the auction. Remember the phrase, "your junk is somebody else's treasure?"

If you have a contribution for the Heels for Healing fundraiser, please let me know. We are taking all kinds of heels.....boots, open toe, etc. (no flats or wedges though please.) Let me know and I can swing by to pick them up. Your donation of something you never wear, will help pay for the medical bills this lady is about to be faced with. I appreciate every single one of you that has already helped. You are angels.....and remember one day PAY IT FORWARD will come your way!!!! :)

Thanks friends!!!!!!!!

1 comments:

Lorin said...

Hi Stephanie! I saw your comment on my blog and wanted to respond. It's good to hear that the doctor can be right predicting the gender so early. I'm worried I'll get so attached to the idea of him being a boy that if it changes at a later sono I'll be disappointed! :) I also wanted to tell you that Landry is one of our top boy names. Great minds think alike!

~Lorin