Thursday, January 14, 2010

The world is "pink" through Gavin's eyes.....

My poor bubba! Two days ago he had a pretty gross runny nose. It was green and yellow and all that nasty junk. So, I just kept a good eye on him. Then, yesterday he started running a fever, and would NOT let me put him down. He whined and needed Momma all day (secretly I enjoyed this until my arm was getting ready to fall off.) And, I noticed that his little eyes were puffy, and had yellow "gunk" coming out of them all day. I thought this was very strange. I have seen my fair share of "sick babies" but never this weird eye stuff. This morning I went in to get Gavin out of his crib and his eyes were pretty much swollen shut with crusty stuff. They were really puffy and red. I think they looked a lot worse than Kyle thought they did (of course I ALWAYS seem to flip out a little more than Kyle does when it comes to the boys and their health...sorry it is just the "Momma" in me.) So- I took him in straight to the doctor. I thought they looked bad, but it REALLY caught my attention when 2 other people said something about it in the waiting area at the doctor. Then, the nurse opened the door to call another child in and saw us sitting there and also made a comment ("oh- look at those poor eyes...he really doesn't feel good does he?")

Finally it was our turn. The doc came in and immediately diagnosed him with Pink Eye in BOTH eyes. Ahhhh!!!! I feel for my little guy. I was VERY susceptible to pink eye as a kid. I got it numerous of times, so believe me when I say I know the severity of how contagious it is. Doc went on to examine Gavin some more and it turns out he has a double ear infection also. They said the right one was so bad it was a possibility it could rupture today if the antibiotics don't immediately start working. They told me if I see any sign of blood today coming from that ear, to get him back in. And, we are not done yet....last thing they looked at was his throat. Remember he had strep 2 weeks ago....and doc said that wasn't completely healed either. She believes the other infections brought that back.

So- my little G-Man is on antibiotics and has to have eye drops in his eyes 2 times a day. Talk about a fight.....now that is a struggle! Worse than the good ole' "booger sucker" back in the day. He is sleeping right now. Doc told me to change his sheets/blankets after every nap time/sleep time. Also- I am very worried about Landry getting pink eye. When you have more toys than Toys-R-Us, it is pretty hard to keep up with what they have played with and touched. But, I will quarantine....all day long. I am almost certain that I will probably catch pink eye sometime in the next day. Let's cross our fingers that I don't....but like I say.....the pink eye infection likes my eyes...A LOT!!!!

Where the heck did he get pink eye? Sometimes I get so frustrated because he is a stay at home baby. He isn't exposed to many kids. Just Sunday School on Sundays. But-I do work in a gym....so I guess it is possible that I bring home stuff and just pass it right on!

Anyway- we are hunkering down today. I almost wish it would start pouring outside. Then- I could have an excuse for all of us to sleep all day! :)

Get better soon Gavin...I Love You! And Landry- stay well....I Love You Too!!!!

2 comments:

KRiSTiN said...

oh no! pink eye is the worst! it's so ichy and icky. poor little guy. get better little man!

sunshyneshanny said...

Yikes! Eye stuff is the worst with kids! They act like you are trying to kill them! It's utter ridiculousness! But, I will tell you that the best thing to do is wash...wash...wash..wash! Everything! Wash your hands every hour with some non irritating anti bacterial soap. Wash the toys that are plastic and wood in soap then soak the toys in a water/bleach solution (1T bleach per gal water)for 5 min. Rinse thoroughly in clean water then allow to dry. Wash cloth toys in hot water in the washing machine. I found that was the only thing that could stop eye infections.

Also, you could get some Emergen-C and lace the kids drinks of juice with it..dose yourself the whole packet and maybe a 1/3 packet for Gavin...I give it to us all when traveling or one of us is sick, seems to help it from passing around.
Good luck!