Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Greatest!

It was a normal night at work last night. Went in...did my thing coaching some kids. Spotting tumbling tricks all night. Cold, rainy outside. Right before my last class I ran in the office to get a Gatorade....and there "it" was on the file cabinet. That "it" I am talking about is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE movies from my little girl childhood. Yes folks.....it was none other than:

SAVANNAH SMILES


I know at this point I am showing my age. This is very much an 80's movie. But- holy shmoly was I excited to see this movie. My good friend and coworker Ms Caren said it was hers...she had brought it up to the studio to show a little girl named Savannah in her class. I freaked. I LOVED this movie when I was a child. You know "THAT" movie that was always a go to. THE movie that you watched numerous times in one day when you stayed home sick from school while laying on the couch drinking your 7-Up and eating Tomato or Chicken Noodle Soup. THE movie that drove your family crazy because that was THE movie you always choose to watch. THAT movie was Savannah Smiles for me.

The little girl, Savannah (aka..Bridgette Anderson,) was such a doll in this film. She past away in 1997 due to drugs and alcohol. So sad to see a cutie like that gone to a terrible disease.

Description
Alvie and Boots (Mark Miller and Donovan Scott) are a pair of bumbling felons searching for the ultimate score after a daring prison escape. Savannah Driscoll (the unforgettable Bridgette Andersen in her movie debut) is an imaginative six-year-old whose wealthy politician parents have little time for her. But when Savannah runs away from home and hides in Boots and Alvie’s broken-down getaway car, the small- time crooks are suddenly mistaken for big-time kidnappers. Can a hard luck fugitive and a failed chicken thief now find a foolproof way to collect the $100,000 ransom? Why is the nation’s toughest investigator (Peter Graves of AIRPLANE!) hunting them down like hardcore criminals? And most of all, will the charms of one special little girl teach everyone about love, trust, friendship and family? Michael Parks, Chris Robinson and Oscar® nominee Pat Morita (THE KARATE KID) co-star in this beloved childhood favorite that captivated a nation to become one of the most heartwarming hits of the decade!


Some of my favorite quotes from this movie:

* "Mmm, mmm, Aint these taters good, Savannah?" " You like my taters Alvie"

* "Booootsie, I want a rubber duckie!"

* "Sorry officer I lost control of my cone" "You lost control of your cone?"

* "Not Boris! Delores!"

* "Born and raised in the briar patch…dum duh duh dum dum duh duh dum"

Awesomeness! If you have never seen it, I suggest you watch it. Yes- it is cheesy...but so sweet and completely adorable. I am going to watch it when the boys go down for a nap. Can't wait to walk down memory lane.

So- after thinking about Savannah Smiles for the first time in 15 years, I started thinking about other movies that were my go tos as a little girl. There were so many classics back then. I am going to post a new movie Blast From the Past for 10 days. My Top Ten Girl Movies if you will. I am not ranking them, simply going to give you a new one everyday. Any fellas reading this will not understand. This is going to be my list of young GIRLY movies growing up. Excitement...this is going to be good!

But, for today I leave you with a scene from Savannah Smiles. Can't say it is my favorite because the whole movie has quotes, scenes, songs that are just money!

Enjoy!!!!



(ps....you must go look at the price for this movie in the 80's on the VHS cover....YES-you ARE reading that right.....$79.95!!!! WHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTTT?)

1 comments:

Val said...

OMG! We used to watch this video at our daycare, when I was 4 years old. And also Goonies. Looking back on that now, hmmm..