GRUMPY!!!!! That is the one word I can say to describe Landry for the past week. Last Tuesday I took him into the doctor because he had a fever (on and off) for about 4 days. Also- he had developed a little cough (hint....little.) That day they did strep test, swine flu test, and blood work. Everything came back negative. That doctor said it was probably some sort of a little viral infection and that he should beat it by himself in the next couple of days. We left the doctor with no prescriptions and tears in the eyes of a 2 year old (due to the blood work....he hated that part.)
****Let me throw in an insert here*****
We go to Dr Katz in Plano. We LOVE Dr Katz. But, that particular morning we didn't see him because it was the "walk in" clinic that they had the nurse practitioner working. Now- I might be a snob when it comes to pediatricians. I have already left one in Wylie because she really pissed Kyle and I off one time (whole different story for another time...or not.) :) I'm sorry- but when it comes to my children's health....I want long explanations and I want to know EXACTLY what is going on. Call me crazy! So- this particular nurse practitioner didn't make me feel too comfortable when we left. She basically said good luck, and sent me home with a screaming child.
Back to the present! So- ever since last week...Landry has just gotten worse. You would never know it by the way he is running around and playing. But- I know my child, and I just had a motherly instinct something was still wrong. Although his fever has completely disappeared....he has been coughing his head off. And- it has gradually turned into a DEEP, NASTY cough. Now- I am probably the world's most paranoid Mom when it comes to coughs. Last year Gavin was hospitalized for 3 days with RSV. So- now I pay REAL close attention when it comes to anything to do with coughing, lungs, breathing, congestion, etc. I NEVER want that (hospital business) to happen again. After Landry woke up 4 times in the middle of the night with a cough so bad it made him actually throw up once, I decided I would take him back to the office and DEMAND some answers this time (what can I give him....what can I do?)
Once again, it was the walk in clinic. But, this time it was a different nurse practitioner. She was GREAT!!!!!!! She listened to everything I had to say and what I was worried about. Then- she examined Landry. He was already crying because he thought he would have to deal with needles again this appointment. But- she calmed him down. She checked him out. One listen to the lungs and she said...Yep...he definitely has bronchitis. Ha...I KNEW IT!!!!!! I knew something was wrong. Next she checked out the ears...they were fine! Then the throat- and what do you know. She also found tonsillitis on my poor baby. See-----never doubt your motherly instinct. Although Landry didn't show he didn't feel good MOST of the time, I still knew something was up. He has been so irritable and cranky. Also- he hasn't eaten hardly anything the past week. In fact, the n.p. was REALLY concerned about his weight. He has lost 3 WHOLE pounds since last Tuesday. That is not right in a toddler.
The outcome- he is now on Augmentin twice a day. She also told me to feed him milk shakes for the calories and coldness. I think he will be very happy with that. :) If he is still not eating in 3 days though....we have to go back in for a weight check.
I am just glad we finally have a antibiotic to attack this crap. Now- please say a prayer for my Dad. He has been VERY sick (same type of symptoms but worse) for the past week. He has a doctor appointment in a little bit and I will hear more. Get better soon Dad...Love you!!!!
Monday, November 9, 2009
sick and tired.....
Posted by Stephanie Stephanie at 9:01 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Moms always know...you're absolutely right! Sorry ya'll are dealing with that...it always stinks when it's something involving the mouth or throat! We make the kids "milkshakes" but...really they're protein shakes. I throw in some frozen strawberries, a little bit of protein powder, whole milk and honey...mix it all up in the blender and the boys think they're having dessert! Also, are you using a humidifier in his room? I've found if you turn on a humidifier in the room at night, it really helps with the night-time coughing! Hope it clears up quickly!!
Oh no! I've used that after hours clinic 3 times and loved the Dr and/of NP every time, but they are always different. Rotating schedules. :( Good for you for following your intuition!! Super Mommy Power!
I'm keeping your Dad and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I'm praying for a speedy recovery!
Post a Comment